Friday, September 12, 2008

Kirundi

Burundi is the smallest country in Africa, and one of the poorest ten nations in the world. It's inhabitants speak Kirundi, French and Swahili. About 500,00 of it's residents are displaced by the effects of war and HIV/AIDS. Most of the inhabitants are illiterate. About 10,000 of them are refugees.

Apparently some of those refugees now live in Brisbane. Some of them only speak Kirundi. I know this because a lady came to the library today who only spoke Kirundi. Due to the fact that the translation hotline took 10 minutes to find a translator (one minute too long in order to actually speak to my Kirundi lady) I'm guess that she's not alone in her recent arrival. Until today, I did not know any of these things.

I'm looking to find some sort of support group to refer this lady to, since I imagine it's very isolating to live in a new country where you can't talk to 99.999% of people.

I have her phone number (I didn't get her name) if anyone can help.

No comments: